Saturday, June 11, 2011

Husain's genius

I am not an intellectual. I do not seem to have any brains. I don't understand the Art of the likes of Husain or Raza. I don't understand BOLD or weak lines. I understand and appreciate paintings relating to reality.
Please Husain’s painting of slain activist Safdar Hasmi which fetched him $1 million and put him on the top artist's list. I don't know if the red strip in the painting depicts anything of hidden significance. A man needs his dignity and the Hindu Gods and Goddesses don't??
On his death a bunch of intellectuals are toppling over each other crying themselves hoarse at the great injustice meted out to such an eminent, unparalleled artist. Some say he did not intend to denigrate Hindu sentiments. If you keep repeating the same mistake over and again it either means you don't consider it a mistake or you are totally unapologetic about it. Freedom of expression cannot be the property of a select bunch of fortunate celebrities.

No comments: